what is this bird?

Hi,

New member here, I joined to find out what the odd bird is I've seen at my black sunflower seed feeder in the last week or two. It looks like a sparrow to me but I am ignorant. It is about the size of the cardinal, a stocky bird with a kind of thick neck, a beak kind of like a cardinal and large eyes. It is a brownish-red color, its wings are solid with two cream-colored stripes, its head is mostly the same brown with a cream stripe above and below the eye (not through it). There may also be a cream stripe along the top of the head. It has a little spot of cream a little bit back from the eye (towards the back of the head). It has thinnish stripes of the same brown on its cream breast.

I looked in my bird books and didn't see one like it. I thought maybe, fox sparrow, but the pictures of the fox sparrow I found on the web look too "round" for this bird. Maybe a vesper sparrow?

I'll try to get a picture if this does not suffice.
Thanks,
Jane Peppler