Possible breeding Swainson's Warblers in Henderson County

I have been curious about the potential for breeding Swainson?s Warblers in
Henderson County for some time, but have always found it difficult to find the
time to explore.  This year I made time.  Swainson?s are found most frequently
in the mountains on the Atlantic side of the eastern continental divide along
the Blue Ridge escarpment. The Green River watershed fit that bill, so Peggy
Franklin and I went out exploring for potential habitat a few weeks ago.  We
found the Green River headwaters to be perfect as it had plenty of rushing
water with thick masses of rhododendron along streams in forested land.  This
area was in Peggy?s migration count section and, sure enough, she found three
singing Swainson?s Warblers.  I also visited the area early yesterday morning
and found two singing Swainson?s.

The area of interest is along Green River Rd, which begins near Tuxedo off NC
25 and runs along the southern edge of Henderson County and goes west into
Transylvania County at Cedar Mountain.  The Swainson?s were in the section of
forested gravel road in the area where there are a few bridges crossing over
the river and the Swainson?s were not far from the road.  This is private land
that is heavily posted, so you can?t leave the road.  Other birds singing in
this forest were Wood Thrushes, Red-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos, Ovenbird, La
Waterthrush, N. Parula, BT Green, B&W, Hooded, and Worm-eating Warblers.

There may be other sections of this watershed that have suitable habitat and
Swainson?s Warblers but, as always, my exploring time is limited.  Maybe
others will have time to check it out.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute