Hilton Pond 05/08/03

Although we've spent a lot of time surveying birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and other vertebrates at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History, we've never really looked at macroinvertebrates in the pond itself. That changed this week when a group of students arrived to do some basic freshwater sampling.

For a photo essay about what turned up on this educational science expedition, please visit "This Week at Hilton Pond" for the week of 8-14 May 2003 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030508.html .

As always, we include the results of our bird banding and recapture efforts, this week punctuated by the arrival of what may be the oldest Blue-gray Gnatcatcher known to science. There are also mug shots of a Brown-headed Nuthatch and American Redstart, plus an unusual birds-eye view of a Green Heron.

For the herps folks, we also document an unusual salamander sighting.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and http://www.rubythroat.org ("Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project").

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.