Croatan Forest - Great Lake

Birded the Great Lake area this morning (Carteret County NC).

Best birds were:

Summer Tanagers (3 male, 1 female. All near the 1st bridge)

Prairie Warblers (plentiful!)
Common Yellowthroats (many heard, 4 males seen)
Prothonotary Warblers (3 males at the 2nd bridge)
Yellow Warblers (heard only)
Pine Warblers (seen and heard)

1 Male American Redstart

1 Male Orchid Oriole

3 Gray Catbirds
3 Eastern Kingbirds
4 Acadian Flycatchers
5 Great-crested Flycatchers

4 American Goldfinch (The 1st ones I've seen on the road to Great Lake this
year)

1 Osprey
numerous Turkey Vultures
1 Black Vulture

1 Eastern Meadowlark (near highway 58)

Also, a Water Moccasin and an Alligator, both at the 2nd bridge

On the way home I stopped (for groceries!) at the Food Lion on Emerald Isle.
Something spooked ALL the Least Terns into the air. There really are 320
of them there!!!

John Voigt
Emerald Isle NC
jvoigt@coastalnet.com