birding buddies

Dear Carolina Birders,

I have decided to take the last week of May off work, before I start summer classes at USC Columbia. (I need two classes before starting pharmacy school in the fall.) I would love to take some of this time to bird and make some new birding friends.

Although I've always loved birds (and all animals for that matter), I didn't start birding seriously until my trip to Trinidad with my mom in 2000. You wouldn't believe how many local birds I still have never seen! I know how much of a difference it makes when birding with an experienced birder or group. Therefore, I would love to join an individual or small group for a birding trip (or two) next week.

I would love to bird the Smokies, piedmont, midlands, or coast. I have friends and family in places like Asheville, Greenville (SC), Columbia, Aiken, and Beaufort (SC) with whom I could stay for extended birding.

Here is a sampling of (warm-weather) life birds I still need:
least bittern
yellow-crowned night-heron (adult)
sandhill crane
common ground-dove
black-billed cuckoo
common nighthawk
red-cockaded woodpecker
blue-headed vireo (heard only)
blue-winged warbler
yellow warbler
chestnut-sided warbler
black-throated blue warbler
cerulean warbler
blackburnian warbler
black-throated green warbler
blackpoll warbler
worm-eating warbler
american redstart (adult male)
swainson's warbler
kentucky warbler
grasshopper sparrow
bobolink
baltimore oriole

Leah

p.s. In case you were wondering, my Florida trip falls in the break between summer sessions.

Leah Campbell
Cornwell, SC
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." Robert Lynd