Black-capped Chickadee at John's Rock Overlook

                 Black-capped Chickadee ::: B R P Transylvania
                      May 26, 2003 ::: John's Rock OL BRP

I went in search of Black-throated Blue Warblers today, and have come up
empty handed.  Down in the Pisgah Forest along the Davidson River, I
managed to attract a Northern Parula and a Louisiana Waterthrush, but no
BTBW. I stopped briefly at John's Rock Overlook, about 1/2 mile west of
the Graveyard Fields OL, As I was about to leave, and at the arrival of
some Bikers, I managed to hear a sound from my past-- a very musical
PHEE-BEE.  I ran to get my tape of a BCCH and began playing it about 10
yards West of the John's Rock Sign in front of a fully leafed oak tree.
I began to hear a "phe-bee" answer my tape.  Then I saw quick movements
in the oak and two birds flew across the parking area.

After the rumble of Harley's died away, I played the tape again
(judiciously of course) and the calling was answered and the sound
perched above me in the oak behind an oak leaf.  I could only see a long
tail!  Moving slightly to the left I finally saw the face of a chickadee
I heard it sing and saw the bill open at the same time.

This undoubtedly a very confused Carolina Chickadee who has been hanging
around with the wrong crowd and now sings the "phe-bee" song.  But since
its my list, I allow myself  to commit all kinds of outrages-- such as
NOT writing "Carolina" when I wrote the name of this chickadee!
At Graveyard Fields Trail Overlook I got a quick look at a Broadwinged
Hawk.

Regards,
John Lindfors
PS  Marilyn Westphal's most recent email of her day on the Blue Ridge
Parkway makes me envious of people with good eyes and ears.  Way to go,
Marilyn!