Rhodos and way up there birds

Sandy and anyone else headed for the mountains this weekend, the high
elevation rhododendron (Catawba or Purple) are just starting to bloom.  It
looks like it's going to be a great bloom as the rhodos are chock full of buds
and some have started to open up already.  This is true all along the high
elevation areas of the parkway.  This weekend should be really good.  It'll
probably be another month or so before the lower elevation rhodos (Rosebay -
the white ones) bloom.  The weather forecast for the mountains this weekend is
looking good, so enjoy.

Bring a coat.  Wayne Forsythe and I went up to Devil's Courthouse to listen
for Sawwhet (no luck) last night and just about froze even with sweaters and
jackets.  It was pretty windy and we were wishing we had our parkas. They
don't call it the Canadian Zone for nothing. There were several Veeries
singing at sunset up there, though, and also a Winter Wren.  The Peregrines
hadn't left the nest yet, either.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute