Painted Buntings, Pender Co. NC

Carolina Birders,

While its fairly common to have Painted Buntings at feeders along the southern coast of North Carolina,
it is pretty cool to have my in-laws rewarded with a male and female after my insistence that they tend to their feeders
more regularly. I saw the female first on Memorial Day weekend and I told my mother-in-law to keep a watch out for
"North America's most gaudily colored songbird". She was recovering from surgery and therefore camped by
the window, keeping eyes peeled, with my nearly four year old daughter that knew of the "rainbow" bird from the
singing, stuffed Nat. Audubon one that Santa brought her in December. Their spirits were lifted and no doubt the
healing process was quickened, by the sight of the male on Tue. 5/27. They've enjoyed them all week.
My in-laws live about 8 miles N. of Hampstead, off of NC 210 near Watts Landing in Pender Co.
Now I'll get her to leave a hummingbird feeder up year round.

Sorry if this was a bit much, but hey, its raining at Weymouth Woods today.

Chris Helms
Weymouth Woods - Sandhills Nature Preserve
Southern Pines, NC