Ruffed Grouse

Wen't for a run on the Old Toll Road in Montreat, NC this morning and had a
Ruffed Grouse do it's broken wing routine in front of me.  Figuring it's
babies were near by I looked over the bank and saw eight tennis ball sized
chicks.  What really surprised me was that 3 or 4 of them actually flew away
from me.  I didn't realize they could fly before reaching adulthood.  A
short way further down the trail I came across a Black & White Warbler doing
the broken wing routine on the ground.  I didn't look for the nest.  I
didn't want to over stress it that much.  All in all it was a pretty good
run.  Picked up my first Peewee and Canada Warbler of the year.

Stu Gibeau
Black Mountain, NC