Laughing Gull attacked

I saw this same thing with a Black Duck on Hatteras
Island about 10 years ago.  I saw a Black Duck
swimming low in the water and flapping violently.  I
knew something was up and in the clear pond water I
could see a fairly large snapping turtle hanging
underneath the bird.  It did get free while I was
watching but I still don't know if the turtle let go
or the leg came off.  All I know is that was one happy
Black Duck to get the heck out of there.

Also when I was in Texas 3 years ago my then wife to
be and I saw a Common Moorhen riding low in the water
at Aransas NWR (she was the Refuge Biologist).  It
started flapping so we knew something was up.  I waded
to it and low and behold a huge blue crab had ahold of
the moorhen's leg.  It was rescued and later returned
to the marsh.  It seemed to just be shaken up and
after some time seemed back to normal.

Brian Van Druten
Buxton, NC