owls/ swifts update

Sat. about a dozen folks ventured to see the campus owls despite rain and gray sky. Lots of good looks were had and reporters from local Chapel Hill newspaper accompanied us. For anyone interested, their story is at:

http://www.triangle.com/triangle.com/communities/chapelhill/snapshots/story/2588050p-2401726c.html

(....quotes are a tad imprecise, but the gist is right)

'Junior' continues to improve flight daily and I expect the family will move off quad within a couple weeks.

The Franklin St. Swifts have diminished in numbers considerably now; partly I think dispersing to other sites, and partily due to migratory ones moving farther north. They should return to swarming masses during fall migration.

**Rob Gluck.......... Chapel Hill,NC.......... thrush@hotmail.com

"In a world that seems to have gone mad is it any wonder birds have such appeal? Birds are, perhaps, the most elegant expression of reality."
-- Roger Tory Peterson, 1948