Bald Eagles and Henslows Sparrows near Greenville, NC

Carolinabirders,

Late yesterday I visited two good birding spots near Greenville, NC.  The
first stop was the commercial Catfish ponds on Shepards Mill Road, north and
east of Greenville.  Eagles have nested near there in recent years, and
there is always a good chance of seeing either the nesting birds or
wintering birds.  I was surprised to find ten Bald Eagles around the ponds.
Four were full adults, probably representing two pairs.  Two were subadults
(third year?).  The other four eagles were younger.  Obviously, Bald Eagles
love easy meals of catfish.

After leaving the catfish ponds, I travel the short distance over to Voice
of America Site A.  I birded along some of the perimeter fence areas which
are not accessible from the paved roads.  I do not recommend it.  As you may
know, access to the VOA sites is extremely limited, so please do not ask me
where I went, or to take you there.  I can't.

Anyway, Henslow's Sparrows are noted for singing at dusk and after dark.
During the period from about 7:30 to 8:55 pm I tallied about 55 singing
Henslows.  I did not count the mosquitoes which were also singing in my
ears.  I wore a long-sleeve shirt, mosquito netting to cover my face and
neck, and gloves to cover my hands.  Not very pleasant with the hot humid
weather, but absolutely necessary.

John
John and Paula Wright
1953-A Quail Ridge Rd