Swallow-tailed Kite party, et al 06-14-03

hi ya'll,

this a.m. observed 17 Swallow-tailed and 2 Mississippi kites foraging over a
small wheat field near Bucksport, SC. i gawked and took some video for about
20 mins. the birds casually soared w/in 10 meters of me. no matter how often
i view these creatures, i'm completely awed by their nearly effortless
movements. they are truly masters of the wind.

to add to the revelry, a Hooded Warbler was calling from across the road
behind me.

the rest of the morning was somewhat anti-climactic, although i did see and
hear a number of good birds. here's a list from my meandering:

Great Egret
Cattle Egret
Wood Stork
TV
STKI
MIKI
R-s Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Y-b Cuckoo
Barred Owl
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Wp.
Downy Wp.
Pileated Wp.
Eastern Wood-peewee
Acadian Flycatcher - this species is doing well in G'town and Horry
counties.
Eastern Kingbird
Purple Martin
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - everywhere
E. Bluebird
Wood Thrush
Am. Robin
Gray catbird
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Loggerhead Shrike
European Starling
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
N. Parula
Yellow-throated
Pine
Black-and-white - 3
Prothonotary
Swainson's
Hooded
Yellow-breasted Chat - many in a regenerating clear-cut on Port Harrelson
Rd.
N. Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
E. Towhee
R-w Blackbird
Common Grackle
B-h Cowbird
Summer Tanager
Orchard Oriole
House Finch
House Sparrow

Cheers y'all,

gary

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)