Kayaking to the kite site

Launched my kayak from lock #1 on the Cape Fear River hoping to
see Swallow-tailed Kites today. Launched around 10AM. I was greeted
by Purple Martins, Barn Swallows and Chimney Swifts.

I figured it would take me an hour to paddle down where the Kites
have been seen. Prothonotary Warblers lined both sides of the river.
Also saw Prairie Warblers, Northern Parulas, Pine Warblers, Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers and Summer Tanagers.

The rattle of Belted Kingfishers was a welcome sound. Two were
seen as I paddled toward the kite site.

As I passed the bridge that spans the river at NC Rt 11 I was hoping
for the best. Two Barred owls were holding a "conversation" just
before 11 AM. I kept paddling.

I spent around an hour and a half around where the Swallow-tailed Kites
had been previously seen, but none were seen this day.

On the paddle home I saw 3 Anhinga and 3 Mississippi Kites. Two
of the Mississippi Kites were soaring and one was perched not far
from the launch site.

Although I didn't see the Swallow-tailed kites I was pleased to spend
around 5 hours on the Cape Fear river on a Sunday where the total
# of boats seen was ONE!!! (This is a very easy river to paddle with
almost no current).

On the ride home I saw Pileated Woodpeckers and a Red-shouldered
Hawk. All in all a very nice summer day of birding.

PS If there are other carolina birders who enjoy kayaking the
coastal area let me know offline. Last weekend I paddled from Harker's
Island to Cape Lookout and had great views of some of the colonial
nesting sites. I also visit a site, Wood Island that is a colonial bird
nesting
site in Bogue Sound between Emerald Isle and the mainland after work
during the week.

John Voigt
Emerald Isle NC
jvoigt@coastalnet.com