RE: Fall Migration or Post Breeding Dispersal?

Like John Lindfors, I wondered this very same thing as I listened to a
Louisiana Waterthrush singing a slightly abbreviated version of their breeding
song beside the tiny creek (a tributary to Twelve Mile Creek in Lexington
county) that runs near the house last Thursday morning just before sunrise.  I
know the Louisiana Waterthrush did not breed near the creek in the yard this
year though I did have a few of the species stop by in early April and sing
down by the creek.  This fellow was a transient.  I had to wonder if he was
already migrating or merely dispersing from his breeding territory.  Louisiana
Waterthrush are early migrants but late June seemed a bit too early even for
Lousiana Waterthrush.

Donna Slyce
Lexington, SC