Kestrels

All,

The kestrel Patrick Coin saw along Hillsboro St in Raleigh may have been the female of the pair that has nested for the last four years in the high-rise apartment building behind the K-mart on Western Blvd. I watch them all summer from my office on the extreme western edge of the NCSU campus. last week one of our grad students and I watched the male of the pair doing some spectacular aerobatics to avoid air piracy from a pair of crows harassing it. The female watched from a powerline behind my office.

I saw another female kestrel on a powerline wire near the southern Wake- Johnston County line on Old Stage Road on Saturday.

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC