Swainson's Warblers in Caldwell County, NC

Folks:
	A recent e-mail reminded me about Swainson's Warblers in the mts. of
NC. On June 28, on an aborted butterfly count, a party of 5 of us drove
a lot of dirt roads down from the Blue Ridge Parkway looking for
butterflies. Swainson's Warblers kept interfering. I've driven many of
these roads in late June now for 4 years and had 2-3 Swainson's each
year, in different places. I've also had a few along Sampson Road
heading east off the BRP in eastern Watauga County.

On the June 28 trip, we heard two Swainson's maybe 1/2-mile east of
Mortimer on NC 90 (a dirt road!), and a third somewhere toward the
Mulberry campground. I've heard several over the years from the Boone
Fork Campground, and also where SR 1368 meets FR 188.

The key is to drive SLOWLY along the dirt roads (with your windows
DOWN), stopping occasionally, being especially attentive when you see
very dense stands of rhododendron where you wouldn't want to walk
through!).

Of course, SEEING one of the beasts is another matter, and you may need
a tape recorder, though if you are patient, you have a chance. But, we
stood within 50 feet of a singing bird near Mortimer on the 28th, for
about 15 minutes, as he changed perches, and still never got on him with
the binoculars!
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program