Kestrel in Buncombe County

Seeing the posting about kestrels at Fort Bragg reminded me that I meant to
mention that Esther and I saw a kestrel Tuesday perched on a utility pole
in the middle of a farm field in the Sandymush area of Buncombe County.  I
can't recall seeing one there in July, but we have seen them in late spring
and wondered if they hung around to breed.

We saw the kestrel while we were chasing a large (mostly or all) white bird
that flew out of sight before we got a good look at it.  A Great Egret,
maybe??  But time and place seem wrong.

In other Sandymush bird news, while spending several days at our hideout
last week, we saw two male Indigo Buntings behaving semi-insanely.  One
chased the other repeatedly around the clearing in front of our cabin, both
stopping occasionally to perch and belt out a song. The chases lasted
several minutes.  No doubt a contest for territory was going on, but it
seemed extreme.

Len Pardue
Asheville NC