Pea Island

Hi,

Here you are some more interesting birds I found during 6 day stay on Pea Island (thanks to NWR hospitality).
I was mostly concentrated on shorebirds and additional seawatching so didn't find many land birds which should be there by that time.
As far as shorebirds I was counting two times a day three major areas: southern part of Bonnie Bridge, Northern Pond and Southern Pond (the last one including the next pond south). An island West from the Bonnie bridge was THE most interesting place, however not always good for observation because of strong wind, the best in early morning. Nevertheless 98% of records were made via field scope.
These species were always present (the highest count in brackets):
American Oystercatcher (6), Black-bellied Plover (6), Willet (10), Greater (8) and Lesser (33) Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper (87), Sanderling (15), Short-billed Dowitcher (27, only 2 juveniles for about 50 birds seen), Marbled Godwit (6)
Here are some more "rare" ones:
Semipalmated Sandpiper - just two records (1 and 2 birds), American Avocet - two records (2 and 1 bird), , Semipalmated Plover - 8 (07.02 and island), Piping Plover - 1 male seen on E (sea side) of Bonnie Bridge (07.06), Black-necked Stilt - 6 (07.01 N.Pond), Spotted Sandpiper - 1 (07.04 S.Pond), Ruddy Turnstone - 2 and 3 (07.01 and 02 island), Red Knot - 2 (07.02 island), Curlew Sandpiper - 1 ad (07.06 island), Stilt Sandpiper - 1 ad (07.03 S. Pond), Wilson's Phalarope - 1 adult female (07.01 N.Pond)
Roseate Tern - 2 ad (pair?) (07.05 N. Pond)
Lesser Black-backed Gull - almost every day seen 2-3 immature birds on a sea side
Cory's Shearwater - 12 flying S (07.01 sea near NWR HQ), 2 next day
Wilson's Storm Petrel - 8 flying S (07.01), 4 next day
Pacific Loon - 1 immature (07.03 sea for about an hour near NWR HQ)
Common Loon - 1 immature (07.01 - 02 sea near NWR HQ) and 1 (different bird) near Bonnie Bridge (07.06)
Red-breasted Merganser - 1 ad male (07.04 and 05 island)
Royal, Sandwitch, Gull-billed, Forster's, Least and Black Terns seen every day in good numbers (more than 10), Caspian and Common almost every day a few indyviduals.
That was just a beginning of shorebirds migration, in October the Pea Island must be a perfect place for patient birdwatching. Somebody could take all of these mosquitos from the island, please....

Thanks NWR staff for help and Pat for trip to the very south point of the Pea Island and show me how to find a Seaside Sparrow.

Mike

Michal Skakuj  Ph.D.
4600 University Drive apt. 1312
Durham, NC 27707