FAREWELL NORTH CAROLINA / CBC

With mixed emotions, I must report that Pat and I are moving away from North Carolina to Upstate New York. We sold our home here in Winterville, and will officially be moving next week. We purchased a new home in a suburb of Rochester, NY called Honeoye Falls. Pat has been accepted into the University of Rochester's Dental School so that she can get relicensed to practice here in the United States. In fact, Pat was accepted with literally no notice and already had to leave for New York ahead of me so that she could start classes and her residency program.

We made many good friends and saw some incredible birds during our stay here in NC! I wanted to thank all of you fellow CBC birders that have made the last ten years of birding fantastic! Special thanks to a few in particular (please don't be offended if I miss some people). Thanks to John and Paula Wright and Ken Harrell who were the local birders in Greenville, NC that introduced me to the River Park North Bird Club, local Pitt County birding hot spots and the CBC. Keith Camburn and Jeff Pippen that have been friendly rivals for our NC state lists. Because of you and your competition, I spent countless hours trudging through swamps, marshes, sewage treatment facilities on the days when the weather was bad and I almost considered staying home where it was warm and dry. Thanks, I loved every minute of it! Thanks to Brian Patterson who arranges so many pelagic trips every year. No doubt, some of the most exciting birding I have ever experienced in my life came on NC pelagic trips when we saw and photographed White-faced Storm Petrel, Yellow-nosed Albatross and most recently, Bermuda Petrel! Of course I need to thank John Fussell, Simon Thompson, Derb Carter, Eric & Celia Dean, Wayne Irvin, Harry LeGrand, Ricky Davis, Rich & Susan Boyd, Mike Tove, Rob Van Epps, Susan Campbell and many others that have been a vast wealth of knowledge to help me improve my birding skills and/or to report birds so that I could chase them. Thanks to Will Cook, Russ & Patricia Tyndall and Taylor Piehoff for managing the CBC list server, CBC web and CBC bird hotline.

The CBC and WOW programs have been lots of fun. Pat and I will still try to get back to NC to participate in some of these meetings in the future. My sales job will bring me back to my company's facility in Greenville, NC almost once a month. We plan to be at WOW this October, so we will see you then. Let us know if anyone is coming up our way and I would be happy to do some birding with "yaaaall!" My email will remain the same if anyone wants to contact us.

**** - Hey Keith and Jeff, don't think the competition is over! I have 389 in NC as of today's Pacific Loon. I will be watching the CBC list server like a hawk, and I will be strategically planning my business trips to NC! :)

-Brad & Pat Carlson
Winterville, NC  <--- (not for long)
-BradCarlson1@hotmail.com