PACIFIC LOON

I just returned home after spending the better part of today in search of the previously reported Pacific Loon on the Outerbanks. I started scanning the ocean at 9:00am at the Quality Inn in Nags Head. I proceeded south checking about every 1/4 or 1/2 mile all the way to the Pea Island visitor's center. During that entire duration, the only loon I saw, was a single Common Loon. The only bird of real interest was a 3rd year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL just south of Jenette's Pier in Nags Head. I also had three Whimbrels at that location.

Dissapointed after four hours of looking, I then headed back north to try again in the opposite direction. I skipped most of the beach and started at the Outerbanks Pier just north of the Bodie Island Lighthouse. The LESSER-BLACK-BACKED GULL had moved down the beach, and was now at this location. I then spotted a POMARINE JAEGER flying in from off shore and then it sat on the water just south of me. I then spotted a loon far to the south at my visual limit. I jumped back in the car and headed south to a public beach access at East Juncos Street (approximately milepost 19) off of South Old Oregon Inlet Road. When I arrived, the bird was close to shore. I am pleased to report that the loon was indeed the PACIFIC LOON! The loon stayed just beyond the people swimming. It was an immature with a clean neck pattern, dark around the eye, straight bill (smaller than Common). The loon did not have a chin strap.

When I left after about 20 minutes, the bird was slowly swimming south.

This was sweet success after having failed at previous attempts at Figure Eight Island and Wilmington in the "appropriate" time of year.

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com