No S-t Kites today

Hi all:

Lois and I were able to make a abbreviated search for the swallow-tails today, but unfortunately they failed to preform any last minute heroics for us. We arrived at the county line/NC 87 hayfield about 1:30 this afternoon and broke out some lunch (the usual sure-fire way to produce rare birds). We stayed about an hour then went to lock no. 1 for a quick look around and did have an Anhinga soaring overhead, as well as Common Egret and Little Blue Heron. Then we tried to find the other fields that Will had mentioned yesterday and were unsuccessful locating Love Rd. Where is this Will? Perhaps you can be more specific for others going down later. We also were frustrated by roads with names changed from those on the deLorme map.

We returned to hayfield about 3:00, again without success, and then a quick stop at NC 11 bridge (a dangerous place to bird) yielded a White Ibis. On our way back north we did spot a soaring Mississippi Kite north the Black River on NC 11/53.

This of course only means that they did not repeat Saturday's schedule on Sunday. If we had been able to wait longer we may have had better luck. Better luck to those trying this week.

Mike Schultz
Durham, NC