Cape Fear Swallow-tailed Kites request

Please do keep posting your sightings to Carolinabirds.

Several of us plan to make the car trip Saturday to NC 87 & 11 vicinity. Delorme is ready, with all area s-w kite sightings circled. Unfortunately, we will have to stick to the roads, but it seems that others have had great luck that way.

In case we are very lucky and find all 7 Swallow-tailed Kites putting on a show for us immediately, what birds or interesting sites can we find close by? - geographical, historical, or natural historical (If there is not such a phrase, there should be.)

I hear that the trip from Chapel Hill will be around 2 1/2 hours. The map shows Bladen Lakes Forest upstream and Lake Waccamaw to the southwest. I doubt if any of us have been there. Any good for birding?

Or is anything special being seen in the Wilmington area to draw us that far?

Thanks for any information,
Julia Shields
Chapel Hill, NC