Mallard behavior

This morning while I was out checking ponds in Northern Cumberland County for odonates, I saw two mallards feeding on one pond. The mallards stayed together and both dabbled like mallards usually do. However, recent rains have raised the level of that pond, so one of the mallards dove several times, coming up with mouthfuls of pondweed.. The duck wasn't as graceful as a canvasback or scaup, but it was getting down to the goodies.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Historian and General Outdoorsman
Fayetteville, NC 28311