Re: Ants

If you used a household aerosol spray (like Raid), the insecticide in the material will pose no threat to birds whether you wash it or not. Most of these materials use a pyrethroid insecticide (synthetic variations on the naturally occuring pyretherins found in some African daisies), and these materials have very low avian toxicities. The common name of most of these mateials (found on the label under "active ingredient") end in "-rin." If you want the residues to dissapate, epose the interior of the box to sunlight for several days; these materials photodegrade readily.

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC
clyde_sorenson@ncsu.edu

c.leopard@att.net wrote:

Ants seem to have taken over a totally empty bird house. I open it up to make the ants leave and some kind soul in the neighborhood keeps closing the box. There is no way for the box to closed by itself. Finally in desperation, I used an insecticide in the box. Took care of the ant problem. Will wash it down with soap and water when all of the ants are gone. What else should I do so birds will use it next year? Remember, this was a desperation measure.
Thanks for any suggestions. Please don't remind me that I shouldn't have done it.

--
Cecille Leopard
Harrisburg NC