Ants

Ants seem to have taken over a totally empty bird house.  I open it up to make
the ants leave and some kind soul in the neighborhood keeps closing the box.
There is no way for the box to closed by itself.  Finally in desperation, I
used an insecticide in the box.  Took care of the ant problem.  Will wash it
down with soap and water when all of the ants are gone.  What else should I do
so birds will use it next year?  Remember, this was a desperation measure.
Thanks for any suggestions.  Please don't remind me that I shouldn't have done
it.

--
Cecille Leopard
Harrisburg NC