Help needed on bird matters, Bear Island

Hi folks,
	1)I need some impute on doing a bird checklist for Anne Close
Greenway in Fort Mill, SC.  They had a birder make a checklist ten years
ago on what he thought should be seen at the greenway.  As far as I can
tell this list was not check with actually observations.  The staff wants
me to update what is actually seen at the greenway. The greenway has a
really cool software package which pinpoints where fish, flowers and trees
are located.  They want to day the same thing for birds so that the casual
hiker can look up possible species are various locations in the greenway.
The greenway is pretty big 2,000 acres made up of woods and fields. I have
the following questions.  a) Is there a scientific way of creating an
accurate checklist for a place, if so, what procedures should be followed?
b) The checklist uses the following status legend for the birds M-Migrant,
usually present in the Spring or Fall etc. etc. etc. I've used all kinds of
checklists with lots of different legends. Is there one that people like
better than others? If the checklist uses the more common legend of a,c,u,o
and r is there a scientific way of determining which birds go in which
category?  Or is the checklist just a rough guide to birdlife?  c) Is there
anything I'm missing? I've done breeding bird surveys but this is a little
bit different.
	 2) If anyone has done any birding in Anhui province or Guangzhou,
China in August can they e-mail me off this list. I leave next week and
have lots of birding questions.
	3) I missed the duck at Donnelley Island (ugh!) but saw three other
lifers at Bear Island. I found the best shorebird habitat to be at mid-pond
section just past the entrance on the right side of the road. The water on
the left side of causeway had yellowlegs, stilt and a few peeps.  Its not
great shorebird habitat yet but it was a lot lower than the rest of Bear
and mud flats were starting to appear.  Thanks for all you help, Dave
Collopy  Rock Hill, SC   dcollopy@rhtc.net

David Collopy
Rock Hill, South Carolina
dcollopy@rhtc.net