Kites, hummingbirds, and Wake Audubon events

Howdy!

We were two birders that did NOT see the Swallow-tailed Kites this past
Saturday (looks like Juan was the only one?), but enjoyed seeing the
Mississippi Kites, Anhingas, Great Egrets, Red-headed Woodpeckers,
Indigo Buntings, Eastern Kingbirds, Purple Martins, Eastern Meadowlarks,
and Yellow-billed Cuckoo while we were there looking. About 3:15 we left
the kite area and headed east to Sunset Beach in search of the Wood
Storks around the Twin Lakes area. We were happy to count about 30
storks, along with a Yellow-crowned Night Heron driving around the
marshes at Sunset Beach. We got home at 10:45 pm, but it was a fun day
of birding with 50 species, especially since we were able to hook up
with other local birders.

We have at least two hummingbirds coming regularly to the feeder now.
It's cute to see the male perch on the iron hummingbird hook the feeder
is hanging on! He's also very interested in the new Pileated Woodpecker
flag with red streamers we have hanging near the feeder.

Below is a list of Wake Audubon events for the next month, starting with
a Purple Martin roost viewing tomorrow night. Programs and field trips
are free and open to the public.

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net

Thursday, July 31: Purple Martin Roost Viewing, 8 pm. Join Wake
Audubon and Tim Francis, Purple Martin expert, as we watch hundreds
of migrating martins circling overhead and coming to roost for the
night. Meet at the Hardees at the Hillsborough/Western Ave.
intersection; binoculars and folding chairs are recommended. Tim will
give an explanation of the roost and answer questions about the martins,
431-1691.

Saturday, August 2: Bagels and Birdwalk on the Buckeye. We meet on the
first Saturday of each month at 8:30 a.m. at the Greenway parking area
on Crabtree Boulevard, between Capital Boulevard and Raleigh Boulevard,
845-5006.

Saturday, August 9: Trees of the Hardwood Forest at Anderson Point Park,
881-2601.

August Meeting
Tuesday, August 12, 6:30 p.m. Anderson Point Park
Potluck dinner at the small picnic shelter next to the playground. Bring
a dish to share and your own plates, utensils, drinks, and tablecloth.
Take Hwy. 64 East from the Beltline for two miles; Turn right on Rogers
Lane. The parking lot is on the left at the end of the street.

Saturday, August 16: Anderson Point Avian Adventures. Meet at 8:30 a.m.
in the parking lot at Anderson Point Park on the third Saturday of each
month. Highway 64 E from the Beltline two miles. Turn right on Rogers
Lane; the parking lot is at the end of the street, 881-2601.

Saturday, August 23: Hanging Rock State Park field trip, 571-0388.