Eurasian Collared-Dove in the NC Sandhills

Folks:
	While driving south on US 1 thru Hoffman in Richmond Co., yesterday
(July 29), I saw a pale dove on a wire near a house. After mulling
whether to turn around, I decided to, and sure enough, it was a Eurasian
Collared-Dove. (I didn't see it on my return later in the afternoon.)

Carolinabirds gets reports of this exotic species fairly often now, but
I haven't paid attention to whether there have been other reports from
the sandhills. At any rate, this is the first I've seen in NC --
non-stake-out -- since I saw one near Salvo about 10 years ago. Yes -- I
have Avendex on my home computer, but I didn't check last night, so ...

Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program
DENR   Office of Conservation and Community Affairs
1601 MSC
Raleigh, NC 27699-1601
(919) 715-8697 (work)
FAX: 919-715-3085