Further note on red-breasted merganser at Shallotte

I remembered having seen a red-breasted merganser in Shallotte River during a previous summer. According to my data, a r-b merg was present there on 3/31 and again on 6/16 in 2001. This year one was present on 3/12, 5/14, and 7/30.
I doubt that any significance can be attached to the data, but if I were looking for a r-b merg during the summer, I know I'd look there.
Incidentally, if you've never been to Shallotte River, be careful. It's shallow and full of oyster bars and other hazards. There is a usable landing at Shell Point, but it's a bit difficult to spot when you drive into the community.
Going somewhat beyond the normal scope of our subject matter, if you want to plan a combined birding/fishing trip to Shallotte River, go during warm weather. Pick a day when the tide is low early in the morning. As the tide begins to rise, do your birding. About mid-way between low and high tide, start fishing the marshy edges for flounder and whatever else is around. When the tide starts to ebb again, you'll probably be ready to quit and getting back to the landing is easier when the tide is in.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Historian and General Outdoorsman
Fayetteville, NC 28311