Re: Summer Suet

Hi Randy,

A fellow birder from the Project Feederwatch Listserv gave me this homemade
recipe for some suet that she used and I cannot seem to make it fast enough
to keep the birds happy - you may want to give it a try...

1 cup of crunchy peanut butter
2 cups of quick cooking oatmeal
2 cups of cornmeal
1 cup of lard (no substitutions)
1 cup of white flower
1/4 cup sugar
optional: mixed seed, raisins, nut meats

Melt the lard and the peanut butter together, then stir in everything else.
Pour mixture into containers to about 1 1/2 inches thick. Freeze. Cut into
blocks to fit your suet feeders. The mixture is very soft before it's frozen
and lends itself to stuffing into nooks and crannies. Smear it onto tree
bark, crumble and spread onto platform holders or on the ground. I like to
use it in a log with holes drilled through it that I hang out on a tree
branch - woodpeckers and song birds alike love the mixture and visit my
feeders daily in search of it.  Good luck!!

Mel :)

Melody Morris
276 Champion Drive
Hampstead, NC 28443-2601