Big Sit Circle suggestions

Dear Carolinabirders:

I am writing to garner ideas and suggestions about where you would
locate a Big Sit Circle if you were organizing a Big Sit in North
Carolina.

This is in preparation for a Big Sit that I plan to do this year on
October 12 and for which I sent out an invitation a few days ago. I
have had two responses so far but am hoping that a few others might be
interested.

I myself dont know coastal N Carolina as intimately as some of you who
have lived and birded in the state for much longer, which is why I am
writing to see if Carolinabirders can come up with a few suggestions
beyond what I have come up with. (I am assuming that coastal sites will
yield much more than anythingin the Piedmont or Mountains--would you
all agree?)

I have some specific and some general questions:

1. Battery Buchanan vs. Civil War Museum at Ft Fisher
The civil war Museum will have the advantage of having the Oak Grove
nearby and that might get us more passerines. It would also give a view
of Cape Fear River and, if located judiciously, maybe of the open ocean
as well. However, it would not have as sweeping a view of the river and
ocean and sky as the Battery would. Do people (especially
Wilmingtonians and Southportians)have any thoughts on this choice?

2. Have I missed any other obvious Ft Fisher places? Is the Pond at the
Aquarium at all a good choice--it would give a view of pond, marsh,
some scrubby oaks and maybe even the open ocean.

3. Pea Island:
If you were to locate the circle at Pea Island which of the ponds might
you locate it at, and which side of the ponds. I have not done a lot of
birding at Pea Island and know mostly the dyke that goes out from the
visitor center so any help from Outer Banks people would be a big help.

4. Elizbethan Gardens:
I remember that there are some places that have a view of the Sound
with a backdrop of Oak groves. Might this be good and what in your
opinion will be its drawbacks? (Any ideas, Jeff?)

5. Alligator RIver NWR:
I have never spent much time here, but Amalie Tuffin wondered about
this. Might there be a place in the refuge that would afford a view of
a variety of habitats (my impression is that the land here is very flat
and that vantage points might be hard to come by).

6. Finally, any other sites we should consider in other parts of the
state (Sunset Beach lakes?)

Thanks in advance to your help. Your answers will be fun to read.

Shantanu Phukan