yard birds 8-16-03

hi y'all,

had to do yard work (wish there were mo' bigger trees...oh well.) so i had
to cut the grass, watch the hummingbirds, watch the butterflies (24 spp.!)
feed the flowers, watch the dragonflies, watch the feeder birds...man i hate
yard work. it takes all day long...anyway, a Giant Swallowtail butterfly was
cool to add to my yard list. here's what i saw on a sumer doldrums-day:

Green Heron
TV
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Wp
Downy Wp
E. Wood-peewee (he's lost)
Tree Swallow
Am. Crow
Fish Crow
Blue Jay
Titmouse
Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brn-headed
Carolina Wren (new brood)
Wood Thrush
NOMO
Brn Thrasher
starlings
Red-eyed Vireo (singing)
Summer Tanager
Cardinal (beaucoup, all ages)
House Finch
House Sparrow

Black
Giant
E. Tiger Swallowtail (several)
Spicebush
Palamedes
Cabbage White
Orange Sulphur
Cloudless (a few)
azure
Gulf frit
Pearl Crescent
Am. Lady
Red Admiral
Common Buckeye
Red-spotted Purple
Carolina Satyr
Silver-spotted Skipper
Long-tailed
Horace's Duskywing
Clouded Skipper
Whirlabout
Byssus Skipper - another new yard lep
Brazilian
Ocola

Great Blue Skimmer
Slaty
Blue Dasher
E. Pondhawk
Fragile Forktail

whew, hope i don't have to do this again for awhile.

;-)

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)