immature hummers

The curiosity (and naivete) of young hummers is so endearing! I was walking around my tomato patch / weed garden this morning when a very enthusiastic hummer zoomed right up to my head. He hovered there for at least 20 seconds, checking out my face and hair. This gave me the chance to check out him -- extensive stippling on the throat with one bright gorget feather and white tail-feather tips. He was also sporting a large amount of white pollen from my nearby cypress vine. He quickly gave up the prospect of finding any nectar on me and zipped away. I was very flattered to be taken for a flower by a strapping young hummer!

Leah

Leah Campbell
Cornwell, SC
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." Robert Lynd

<b>Help protect your PC:</b> Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963