Space on Hatteras Pelagic Trips This Weekend

Dear Carolinabirders,

I was hoping the sightings of Brown Noddies on two consecutive pelagic
trips off the Outer Banks (August 9 and 10) would entice a few more
people to sign up for this weekend's trips from Hatteras.  At this point
we are committed to runnning trips here on both Saturday and Sunday
August 23 and 24, but we have plenty of space for more participants.
This is usually a good time for lots of Bridled and Sooty Terns, and it
might be the last weekend with any numbers of Band-rumped Storm-Petrels
this season.  Black-capped Petrel is expected and we have seen such
goodies as Herald, Fea's, and Bermuda Petrels, Red-billed and
White-tailed Tropicbirds, and Masked Booby on late August trips in years
past.  For what it's worth, we saw a White-faced Storm-Petrel off Va.
Beach last Saturday, but I have never had much luck finding them south
of Oregon Inlet in many years of trips.  I just heard of a juvenile
Long-tailed Jaeger seen off New Jersey on Sunday, so they are already
southbound and might be a possibility for us this weekend too.  We will
have room for walk-ons up until the mornings of the trips, but it would
be good if we know to expect you.  I can be reached at (252) 986-1363,
and more information about the trips, including directions is available
online at http://www.seabirding.com/.

We also have room on our Sept. 6 trip from Va. Beach (hoping f/ another
WFSP) and our Sept. 13 trip from Hatteras, which is at a good time to
look for Sabine's Gull and Long-tailed Jaeger and about all of the
summer birds except for Band-rumped.

I hope some of you can join us on these last few summer pelagic trips.

Thanks,

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC
brian@patteson.com