Birds and windows...

Fred Houk here, from Chatham County, NC.

We live in the deep woods, and have a number of large clear, plate glass
style windows.  Not surprisingly, the birds tend to smash themselves
occasionally into them.  We've tried a lot of things, but nothing that I
have tried to date has worked completely in stopping this sad
phenomenon.

Today I saw a migratory warbler (hooded) that reminded me that we have
about one a year smash him or herself into our windows...they are, for
whatever reason, the most likely to do so of all the species.  The local
birds rarely, if ever do it...it's normally the fall or spring migrants,
and the hooded warbler species the most of any.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fred Houk