Re: Birds and windows...

Hi Fred. These birds see the reflection of the woods in your window. I was
able to eliminate this problem when I worked at Durant Nature Park by using
dark thread. I set a series of small tacks framing the top and bottom
(outside) of the window, and strung the thread in a zig-zag fashion, top to
bottom, spaced a couple of inches apart. Just enough to break the
reflection. You could also tack sheer netting, but this interferes more with
your view. It takes some work but it eliminated the window strike problem.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention that although we are saddened to hear
of any window kills, we at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences are happy to
take any specimens that you can salvage. Just freeze 'em in a zip lock with
some data (date, location, contact info), and then schedule with us to get
them here to the Museum. Thanks, John Connors @ NC Museum of Natural
Sciences