Re: Birds and windows...

Fred and All,

I found a web site last year that fabricates
window screens to be hung on the outsides
of windows specifically for window hit
prevention.  I haven't tried them but they
sound pretty effective.  Just looked at the sight
and they state that they have more sizes now and
have lowered some of their previous prices.

http://www.birdscreen.com/

Shelley Theye

> From: "Fred Houk" <fred@counterculturecoffee.com>
> Date: 2003/08/25 Mon AM 02:16:15 EDT
> To: "carolinabirds" <carolinabirds@duke.edu>
> Subject: Birds and windows...
>
> Fred Houk here, from Chatham County, NC.
>
> We live in the deep woods, and have a number of large clear, plate glass
> style windows.  Not surprisingly, the birds tend to smash themselves
> occasionally into them.  We've tried a lot of things, but nothing that I
> have tried to date has worked completely in stopping this sad
> phenomenon.
>
> Today I saw a migratory warbler (hooded) that reminded me that we have
> about one a year smash him or herself into our windows...they are, for
> whatever reason, the most likely to do so of all the species.  The local
> birds rarely, if ever do it...it's normally the fall or spring migrants,
> and the hooded warbler species the most of any.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Fred Houk

Shelley Theye