Re: Squirrel baffel question

David and All--

I think you might just want to try an upside down suet feeder. There is a
really good one out by Rubicon International (Sinking Springs, PA).   I
purchased this spring when the grackles and crows were eating me out of
house and home.  It is designed such that the squirrels cannot get around
the roof to get to the cake underneath.  Wild Bird Centers and Wild Birds
Unlimited have them but I bought mine form the Morgan's bird store out in
Nags Head.  Other pluses of this feeder include easy access for filling, the
suet being protected from rain (so very handy this summer)and that it is
made out of very durable recycled materials.  It is pretty inexpensive
(about $15) and will no doubt last a very long time.

Mine is hung in a spot that squirrels could get to and they have
tried --very unsuccessfully.  But my yard birds figured it out right away.
The catbirds were the first--they proceeded to use a new approach--jumping
up and hovering to get a mouthful.

Good luck!

Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC