Ridge Junction 8-27-03

John Sutton and I birded Ridge Junction Overlook (MP 355.5 BRP) this
morning.  It was a great morning!!  We had warblers and others constantly
streaming through the gap for 4 hours!  Here is our list, with the largest
numbers estimated as there were way to many to count.

Chimney Swift--3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird--33
Downy Woodpecker--1
Pileated Woodpecker--1
Empidonax sp.--1
Eastern Phoebe--2
Blue-headed Vireo--5
Red-eyed Vireo--2
American Crow--5
Carolina Chickadee--1
Red-breasted Nuthatch--7
Winter Wren--1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher--4
American Robin--2
Cedar Waxwing--15
Tennessee Warbler--100+!!! They were everywhere!
Northern Parula--3
Chestnut-sided Warbler--6
Cape May Warbler--4  A couple were adult males.
Black-throated Blue Warbler--8
Black-throated Green Warbler--100+  If it wasn't a Tennessee it was a BTG!
Blackburnian Warbler--23!!  The most I've ever seen up there!
Black-and-white Warbler--5
Scarlet Tanager--6
Gray Catbird--1
Eastern Towhee--3
Dark-eyed Junco--3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak--5
Indigo Bunting--3
Baltimore Oriole--1
Red Crossbill--2 One sat atop a spruce tree and sang for us!
American Goldfinch--6

After we left RJO, we went up to the top of Mt Mitchell.  Near the tower we
where watching more Tennessee Warblers when a brown bird caught our eyes.
It was a House Finch!!  The is VERY odd for that elevation.  I don't know
that a House Finch has ever been seen at that high elevation in the east.

Dwayne
Dwayne Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Taylorsville, NC