Re:Little Gulls in summer

I'll very cautiously interject here, but with the hope of adding information
for everyone and not with the intent of getting involved in evaluating the
accuracy of the identification.

I confess I am intrigued by Mr. Voigt's description.  Although it may not be
a perfect Little Gull description, I admit I have never seen (or perhaps I
should say "noticed") a young Black Tern with "dark underwings and [a
trailing] white border [on the top of the wing]." At least not to the point
where it would cause confusion with Sibley's non-breeding adult Little Gull
illustration. I will eagerly look for Black Terns with that field mark in
the future.  I'd be grateful if anyone can point me to a photo,
illustration, or written description of Black Tern with that field mark
(i.e., a significant trailing white border).

I do agree with Harry LeGrand, when he offers that in August, Black Terns
can "come in a bewildering array of plumages".

As far as "the possibility of Little Gulls in summer anywhere in North
America", it most certainly is possible. In fact, Little Gulls breed in
North America, although not in great numbers.  Mike knows this, and I assume
he was just trying to keep his e-mail brief. I have heard birders speculate
that most, if not all, the Little Gulls we enjoy off our coast in winter are
NA breeders.

Little Gulls have been present in New Jersey in May-June 1989 (5
individuals). (Per "Birds of Cape May", Sibley.)

Little Gulls were present in Virginia at Chincoteaaue in Aug-Sep 1972,
Aug-Sep 1974, and Craney Island in June 1974. Several of these sightings
involved multiple birds. (Per "Virginia's Birdlife", VSO, June 1987)

Little Gulls have been reported from Georgia in May. (This is not
necessarily relevant, but interesting. There's also at least one FL report,
but from the more expected month of Feb.)

NC also enjoys summer reports of this species. A pair of observers reported
a Little Gull at Pea Island on Aug 20, 1978 and an immature Little was
sighted at Cape Lookout on Sep 20, 1991 (just barely "summer", by some
definitions).

There is another report from Roanoke Rapids Lake on August 29, 1971.
However, I have heard second-hand that the observer has since retracted that
identification, and thinks the bird was really a Black Tern.

Bonaparte's Gulls (if we dare draw parallels) have shown up in NC in the
months of July and August several times.

A Black-headed Gull spent much of August 1967 at Fort Macon, NC and was seen
by multiple observers.

Sabine's Gulls have been observed onshore in NC in both July and August.

Franklin's Gulls have been observed in NC a few times in July, but not
August (to the best of my knowledge).

So, I remain intrigued by the Emerald Isle Little Gull sighting.  Although
such a sighting would be remarkably rare, I would categorize it as certainly
within the "realm of possibility."  I would prefer NOT to speculate on the
"realm of probability." :-)

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC