another albino Ruby-throated banded in North Carolina

Dear All,

Yesterday I banded my first albino Ruby-throated Hummingbird outside of
Raleigh at the home of the Barkers.  This beautiful gal has been ferociously
guarding the feeder there for a month.  Like all the other banded albinos,
she is a young bird.  But nonetheless I watched her chase everything from
Chickadees to Cardinals away from 'her' part of the backyard.  Despite her
tireless defensive maneuvers, she is putting on fat and is likely not to be
around much longer.

As with the albino hummer in Carboro (banded by Bill Hilton), in the hand
I could see the blood vessels in her legs and feet through her light pink
skin.  But this bird has a very light pink bill--so light in color that I
could clearly see the blood vessels there as well-- running all the way to
the tip.
I am hoping the photos I took (being developed right now) will show this
fascinating feature.

Based on the unusual color of her bill I think that she is not the same
albino that I  reported from outside Cary earlier in August.  Of course we
will never know for sure.  This bird took off  the day I heard about her so
she was not banded.  But we have a number of good photos of that bird and
it's bill is significantly darker pink.

Who'd a thunk we would have three albinos and one leucistic Ruby-throateds
reported in NC this summer!

Oh, I hope that some of the shots I took of this bird will be posted on the
Carolinabirds web site this week.  A few of the leucistic hummer (developing
was delayed due to technical problems) that I banded here in Moore Co.should
be included too.  I will let you know when they are ready for viewing.

Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC