HBSP on 9-9-03

Hi Carolinabirders,
To begin just a little note about a fractured birding trip to the Santee
Coastal Reserve, Charleston County, SC on Monday the 8th.  Bob Maxwell
and I arrived a little before 9A.M. and it began to drizzle we did have
two birds both found by Bob.  The first was an empid which Bob thaught
was a Yellow-bellied.  I followed the bird around and eventually had a
good look at it.  Bob's id was based on a yellow wash to the underparts
which I totally did not see even though I had a good look at the
underparts.  Other than the bird jerking the long tail up and down I
thought other characters (large empid, long tail, broad at base long
orange bill) suggested Acadian.  The wingbars were distinctly coppery in
color. Couldn't get a good handle on the primary extension. The bird did
not vocalize.
The other bird was a Veery.  The rain picked up and the biting flies
became brutal so we left after about an hour.
Now to Huntington Beach S.P. on Tuesday morning.  Bob and I birded the
carriage path and Mullet Pond from 8:40 to 11:45 with me continuing to
cover the north end of Sandpiper Pond and the area across from the
education center for another hour. A few passerine migrants but
otherwise rather quiet.  50 species not counting one exotic escapee.
Pied-billed Grebe-1
Double-Crested Cormorant-6
Anhinga-1
Great Blue Heron-2
Great Egret-2
Snowy Egret-2
Tricolored Egret-2
Green Heron-1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron-2 adults standing on the end of the Kerrigan
Trail overlook
Blue-winged Teal-2
Turkey Vulture-1
Osprey-5 at least 2 were migrants
Red-shouldered Hawk-1
Common Moorhen-1 heard only
Killdeer-4
Greater Yellowlegs-1
Willet-1
Semipalmated Sandpiper-6
Least Sandpiper-10
peep-40+
Laughing Gull-1
Mourning Dove-1
Chimney Swift-1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird-3
Belted Kingfisher-3
Red-bellied Woodpecker-1 heard only
Great-Crested Flycatcher-2
E. Kingbird-1
Tree Swallow-many
Bank Swallow-1
Barn Swallow-4 +
Blue Jay-3
Fish Crow-2
Carolina Chickadee-1
Tufted Titmouse-1 heard only
Carolina Wren-4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher-1
Gray Catbird-1
N. Mockingbird-4
Brown Thrasher-1
White-eyed Vireo-1 heard only
Red-eyed Vireo-3
Yellow Warbler-1
Black and White Warbler-1
Am. Redstart-1
N. Cardinal-1
Summer Tanager-1 nice looking breeding plumage female
Painted Bunting-1 female at feeder
Red-winged blackbird-1 molting male at feeder
and...
a beautiful ZEBRA FINCH hanging out at the storage area where the bird
seed is stored. Where are they native? Mike the naturalist id'd the bird
as Bob and I didn't have a clue.

Birding a bit slow but company as always pleasant and appreciated.

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC