Hurricanes and Birds

Hi all,

I've been watching the progress of Hurricane Isabel with mixed feelings.
Mostly fear of what it could do if it hits and a hope that it takes a
strong right hand turn soon. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder
what is flying around in its eye (no pun intended). Most hurricanes,
even the big ones, don't become really well organized - much less with a
fully developed eye - until they enter the western Atlantic. This one is
different. It formed quickly off the Cape Verde Islands and developed a
large, distinct eye while still in the eastern Atlantic. Hurricanes tend
to suck birds into the eye and carry them around until crossing land
where they have an opportunity to escape. When we have the opportunity
to see the contents of such storms (e.g., Fran, etc.), the birds, while
really amazing for inland lake locations, are none-the-less, regular
western Atlantic species. Isabel could bring something very different.
Having said that, I  do suspect there is perpetual "leakage" of birds
from out of the eye over time. Thus, I would never expect a large (or
even moderate) fallout of west African species (including seabirds).
However, the possibility of even one is interesting - at least to the
extent that it would marginally offset the horror of what a full-blown
category 5 storm would do if it made landfall. Frankly, I hope we don't
get to find out but until that time comes (or not), speculation can be
fun. To that end, I think that Cape Verde Shearwater (small,
darker-backed Cory's-like species) might be at the top of the list.

Mike Tove