Date:    Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:24:52 -0500
From:    Laura Erickson <lauraerickson@ABAC.COM>
Subject: Biggest Day Ever at Hawk Ridge in Minnesota

Yesterday, September 15, 2003, the daily count at Hawk Ridge more than doubled the previous all-time single-day high, with a total of 102,329. Of them, 101,698 were Broad-wings. Tim Smart, the new counter at the Ridge, had plenty of help from such birders as Frank Nicoletti (who retired as full-time counter this year) and Dave Carman, and even Don and Lilian Stokes managed to be at the right place at the right time! I couldn't get up to the Ridge all day, but from my backyard below the Ridge, there was a steady stream--no, a river--of hawks beginning in mid-morning.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and http://www.rubythroat.org ("Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project").

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.