STATE PARK CLOSURES

FWD from NC Division of Parks and Recreation

Unless the track of Hurricane Isabel changes significantly the following
parks will close Wednesday at the indicated times and stay closed until
further notice:

Close Wednesday at noon
Merchants Millpond, Jockey's Ridge, Hammock's Beach, Fort Macon, Carolina
Beach, Fort Fisher, Pettigrew, Goose Creek, Cliffs of the Neuse, Singletary
Lake, Lumber River, Jones Lake and Lake Waccamaw.

Close Wednesday at 8 p.m., stay closed until advised to open
Weymouth Woods, Morrow Mountain, Raven Rock, Jordan Lake, Umstead, Eno
River, Falls Lake, Medoc Mountain and Kerr Lake.

Other park closures
If the storm track indicates, specific West District parks will stay closed
after regular hours Wednesday.

As you all may remember from the ice storm if the parks are closed and poste
NO TRESPASSING.  Like Harry found out the hard way last time, the park staff
can't get the park cleared of trees if they have to spend hours a day making
sure trespasser keep out.

FOR FALLS, JORDAN AND KERR Lake the WILDLIFE RESOURCES COMMISSION areas
(boat ramps and fishing areas) would technically still be open, assuming you
could drive down the access roads.  IF ANYONE MUST HURRICANE BIRD I would
highly suggest visiting these areas or bridge crossings, which would all be
safer and MUCH more productive than any campground or picnic area which
would be closed.

Since I now live at Falls, at Sandling Beach, I'm planning on biking to the
beach for some hurricane birding when it hits, unless my wife ties me down
so I won't get hurt chasing birds!

The past week have seen Pergerine Falcon and a singing Willow Flycatcher at
Falls.

Good Luck!

Brian Bockhahn
Falls Lake State Park Ranger