Isabel "birding"

Carolinabirders,

I was stuck in the house most of the day in Greenville, NC, watching the
rain and wind.  At 3:30 pm, when it was clear that the worst of the wind had
subsided a little, I drove to Washington, NC just in time to get into the
relatively calm center of the storm.  From about 4:00 until 4:20 I watched
birds flying over the Pamlico River.  Sad to say, there I saw nothing all
that grand.  Plenty of Royal and other ordinary terns, lots of Laughing
Gulls.  I did see a distant bird which could have been a jaeger, but I
couldn't be certain.  I also saw a little flock of what looked like
storm-petrels.  They turned out to be swallows flying low over the water.
Also, a lone Osprey took advantage of the relaive calm to fly over the
river.  The wind started to pick up again, so I returned to Greenville.  At
least I don't feel sorry for myself, thinking that I probably missed some
great bird.

John
John and Paula Wright
1953-A Quail Ridge Rd