Re: hummingbird return?

JOHN . . .

If your feeder has perches and is close to a window you can often see the band on a hummer's leg. When they hover they often--but not always--hold their legs tight against the body, making it quite hard to see the band.

Let us know if the bird lingers after 15 October or so. It could be a ruby-throat that overwinters, but it could be something else. :-)

Cheers,

BILL

========

I would like to think that the seemingly husky female Ruby-throated
Hummingbird that is now zealously guarding the hummingbird feeder in the
SE corner of my yard is one of the two female Ruby-throateds that
overwintered in my yard last year--one of those claimed this same feeder
and corner of the yard.

Is is possible to see bands on a hummingbird that is not in the hand?  I
tried briefly this evening, but could not see any.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and http://www.rubythroat.org ("Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project").

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.