Fea's Petrel, et al. - Charleston, SC

We had a really good day offshore today - good Gadfly Petrel action.  Intermittent morning rain and moderate seas didn't dampen our enthusiasm due to the steady birding.  We ran straight out to about 52-53 miles offshore, in nearly 400 feet of water.  Water temp was a hair above 80 degrees.  Black-capped Petrels were with us most of the time we were in this zone.  Folks got photos of Black-capped Petrels, a Pomarine Jaeger and more.

FEA'S PETREL - 1
Black-capped Petrel - 10 (conservative; more likely 12-15)
Cory's Shearwater - 115
Greater Shearwater - 1
Audubon's Shearwater - 7
Wilson's Storm-Petrel - 1
Red Phalarope - 4
Red-necked Phalarope - 15
Phalarope Sp. - 12
Pomarine Jaeger - 2
Parasitic Jaeger - 3
Jaeger Sp. - 2
Sooty Tern - 11
Bridled Tern - 16
Sandwich Tern - 12
Common Tern - 30
Black Tern - 35
Forster's+Royal+Caspian Terns
Yellow, Prairie and Palm Warblers

One of the Pomarine Jaegers flew right over the boat, from stern to bow about 40-50 feet high.  We got great views since we were on the upper deck 12-15 feet up.  We got great looks at both dark and light Black-capped Petrels on several occasions.  A few times, we had three Black-capped Petrels in the same binocular view at once.

The Fea's was hanging out with some Black-capped Petrels between us and a couple of commercial fishing boats.
I first saw the Fea's Petrel around 250 yards out.  I yelled and tried to get folks on it but they couldn't, though I got on it again.  A few minutes later, David Abbott said "I think I've got your Fea's"  This time he got a couple of looks at it and I didn't.  The third time was the charm.  David and I got good looks at it a little over 200 yards out, noting the dark 'M' on the back, the gray back, head and nape, the pure white underparts and the pale gray rump & tail.  The Fea's Petrel was down-sun from us (sun at our backs).  We got a few more looks and noticed it was flying slightly  differently than the Black-capped Petrels.  The Black-capped Petrels were a bit more unhurried and didn't zip up to the top of their arcs quite as snappily as the Fea's.  We were glad the sun was at our backs - it really caught the bird's color well.

I realize we have to write up the Fea's, as this is the first South Carolina sighting of which I am aware.  David Abbott and I have lots of experience with Black-capped Petrels and we've both seen Fea's and Herald Petrels off NC.  I have seen Murphy's Petrel off California.

Today's birding and weather support the theory that one does better offshore when it isn't sunny and calm.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC