action at the store, or, house sparrows

I wonder if one day all the house sparrows disappeared,
whether another bird would fill the niche, ie. hanging out
so close to people and in crowded urban areas.  Are they
known to have actually replaced other species in places
they have moved into in America?  I have the impression
that if they were not around, things would be a lot quieter
and emptier birdwise, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts?

Charles Hoots